Origins in Italy II
In another zone of Piemonte in
this case in Torino, it has existed a county another attractive
presence of our last name, in this case in the community of Azeglio
40 km. distant of the city of Torino and 35 km. of Cerrina Monferrato
in the county of Alessandria. The comune of Azeglio (260 m.s.m.)
he has around 1200 inhabitants.
The center of the inhabited area is located in
the final extremity of that of the hill morenica Perosio, to the
left of the glacier of the Mount Rosa - Mount Bianco.
on the Milano - Torino in direction Canavese, to a certain point
it is entered in the amphitheater morenico. The stately Greenhouse,
from the rectilinear profile that races parallel to the sky, it
coasts along a dessert punctuated lowland of inhabited centers.
Continuing in our trip, to few minutes from the
zone of the lakes of Candia and Viverone, we meet Azeglio, that
rests on the green and calm immobility of an enchanting collina.
town from the red roofs, Azeglio it entertains a rich cultural and
artistic patrimony, constituted by churches, chapels and ancient
abodes between which the Castle, today of private ownership and
belonging once to the marquis Massimo Taparelli, that however he
always wanted to have called Of Azeglio borrowing the name from
The territory of Azeglio includes part of the lake
of Viverone (also called lake of Azeglio), coastal region that tourism
has not been exploited and consequently it is conserved intact.
their position the town assumes a pyramidal conformation whose peak
is dominated by the castle and the tower of the steeple; lowering
toward the base the parochial church unites with those you marry
older surrounding to the main square.
To the foot of the hill the called region would
Roast in the past they were the ovens for the baker’s oven.
The origins of Azeglio
The first authentic document in Azeglio is of the 999 a.C., it is
a writing in the one that the emperor Ottone III gives concessions
to the bishop of Vercelli, Leo is laws of a feud, Azeglio is also
among the mentioned territories.
the conquest of Ivrea for the Romans is probable that Azeglio has
also been busy. It is supposed that Azeglio was a mail station in
the Roman road Ivrea-Vercelli. I walk that had the name in the Medieval
period of via Francigena "Romea".
In the half age, toward the year Thousand, the
frequent pilgrimages began toward the most famous places in cult
of the Christendom (the Earth Saint, Rome, Santiago of Compostela);
the numerous groups of pilgrims crossed, between traps and dangers,
on foot or to the horse, the big arteries that connected the most
distant parts in Europe that united the the North Sea to Rome. During
the half age, for their position, Azeglio had often participated
in the war among the gentlemen to the service of the Bishop of Ivrea
and those with the Bishop of Vercelli.
The Savoia conquers Azeglio
18 th 1361 the Savoya defeated the Count of Masino, to which Azeglio
snatched. They however could not really assume the power in the
new territories until the year 1435. In the interval Azeglio and
the neighboring towns had been occupied by a captain of fortune,
Facino Cane that gave it through the payment of a rescue.
Of here in then the town followed the circumstances
of the whole Piemonte suffering as other towns, serious damages
with the French descent in 1551 and in 1704.
The fires applied to the troops transalpins bring
the destruction of most of the communal documents. In the comune
of Azeglio he is San Antonio Abbots's Sanctuary of Mount Perosio
even at the moment it Knocks down I gave Monte Perosio .
San Antonio Abbots's Sanctuary of Mount Perosio
Already mentioned in documents of the 1231 this church,
(with an annexed temple to the hospice) that becomes S. Andrea's and of
Vercelli canons' property in the year 1319 and it is together to the hospital
of that city, passing to belong to the parish of Azeglio. She becomes
hermitage then and in the year 1679, headquarters of San Antonio's Venerable
Company Knocks down, composed by 100 siblings.
It was located in the via Frencigena Romea and it was
hospice for the pilgrims that went to Rome. He had a great importance
for the whole Middle Ages and mentioned in many documents of the time.
Lost their function hospicio, happens to the reduction of the traffic
in the road, she becomes Abbey during many centuries. Today is a sanctuary
in the pleasant and calm hill Perosio,establecida on the lake of Viverone.
Merit of A. Nicolotti that in the year 1953 the operation
of restoration of the sanctuary began was, consenting of conserving the
very old cool airs of the adjacent wall and the beautiful facade with
piazza supported by four columns. It is current and recent the altar (1956)
and two wide annexed local to the church now national monument.